Archaeology Project- Interior of an Early Christian Church
Local ID #: 1924/181
Born in Lancaster, PA, S. Kendrick Lichty received his early education at the Yeates School and the Franklin and Marshall Academy, both in Lancaster. He then attended Franklin and Marshall College for one year before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated with his B.S. in Architecture in 1924. In 1924 he also began working for Zantzinger, Borie & Medary; he remained with them until 1925, when he moved on to the office of F. Ferdinand Durang, chiefly known as a church designer. Although he stayed with Durang until 1927, he then transferred to the office of Horace Trumbauer, where he stayed until 1931. In 1931 Lichty established his own firm, Morgan, Lichty & Stopper in Philadelphia. This relationship, which appears to have begun only to design the William Penn Homes in Chester, PA, lasted only about two years and was replaced by Stopper & Lichty in 1943, but Lichty's association with Stopper appears to cease around 1944/1945. Subsequently he practiced alone in Bryn Mawr, PA.
In 1955, according to his AIA membership records, Lichty retired from active practice due to ill health and by 1958 was living in Boca Raton, FL, where he died.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Philadelphia Art Alliance
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Franklin and Marshall College
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.