This firm was established by architect Samuel Sloan and carpenter John Stewart after they met during the construction of the Italianate villa Bartram's Hall for Andrew M. Eastwick. They set up their partnership in 1853 with offices at 6th and Walnut streets. This successful partnership lasted for six years. The firm's practice was general, including schools, residences, and churches. Chief among their works were the housing operation at Hamilton Terrace (41st Street between Baltimore Pike and Chester Avenue in West Philadelphia, 1856) and Harrison Row (10 speculative houses for Joseph Harrison on Locust Street between 17th and 18th streets).
Although Sloan would chiefly work alone after the dissolution of this partnership, he did operate for a short time within the office of Sloan & Hutton (1864-67) and late in his career also established a brief partnership with Charles Balderston and Isaiah B. Young.
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.