Although Wilbur H. Tusler became better known as an architect based in Minneapolis, MN, his career began in Philadelphia. He was born in Miles City, MT, the son of Herley and Melissa (Kinsey) Tusler. Early education came from St. Johns Military Academy in Delafield, WI, followed by the University of Minnesota, where he attended for one year. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1914 with his B.S. in Architecture and gained practical training in the offices of Magaziner & Potter, Zantzinger, Borie & Medary, and John T. Windrim. In 1916 he appears in Philadelphia city directories as an architect, but thereafter disappears.
During his time in Philadelphia Tusler was active in both the Philadelphia Chapter, AIA, and the T-Square Club, serving on the T-Square Club publicity committee in 1915/16. He joined the national AIA in 1921 and became a member of its Minneapolis Chapter after moving to Minnesota. Tusler retired from practice in 1960. Chief among his works in Minneapolis is the Foshay Tower (1929).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- Minneapolis Chapter (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Minnesota
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.