Newcomb T. Montgomery was born in Philadelphia and graduated from Chestnut Hill Academy. He received his B.Arch. from Princeton University in 1928, and his M.Arch. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1931. He was the son of Edith Thompson Montgomery and James Alan Montgomery, Professor of Ancient Languages and a prominent member of the faculty at the University of Pennsylvania. After finishing his Penn degree, Newcomb Montgomery worked in the office of Zantzinger, Borie & Medary, with Corbett, Harrison & McMurry in New York, with the Philadelphia Housing Authority, and with Fuller, Merritt, Chapman & Scott Corporation in Quonset, Rhode Island, a military base construction firm.
Montgomery started an independent practice in 1945 after serving with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the British Isles in World War II and became a member of the national AIA in 1946. He was among a group of architects who worked in association to design the Liddonfield Housing Project for the Philadelphia Housing Authority in the early 1950s, including Robert Bishop, with whom he formed a partnership in 1952. Montgomery's wife, the former Dorothy Schoell (1904-1980), was a founder of Americans for Democratic Action in Philadelphia and the Managing Director for the Philadelphia Housing Association in 1933-37 and 1944-65. She was also Vice-Chairman of the Philadelphia Housing Authority. The Montgomerys were residents of Germantown, where Montgomery & Bishop completed several projects.
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Princeton University
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.