George W. Casey was born in Auburn, NY, the son of Nicholas Loread and Emma (Osborne) Casey. After graduation from Auburn Academic High School, he entered Cornell University's architecture program, graduating with his B.S. in 1887. By June of that year, he was already a part of the office of Furness, Evans & Co., with whom he remained throughout his career. Following the deaths of the named principals of that firm (Frank Furness in 1912 and Allen Evans in 1925) Casey and Herman Kleinfelder continued to practice in the same office, retaining the traditional name of the firm.
Casey was credited with the original design of the Girard Trust Corn Exchange Building at Broad and Chestnut streets, which was done by Furness, Evans & Co., but detailed by McKim, Mead & White. His interest in the classical revival style in architecture lends credence to this claim.
Casey moved to Swarthmore, PA, in 1905, and continued to reside there until shortly before his death. He was vestryman for the Trinity Episcopal Church in Swarthmore for nearly 50 years, and also served on the Board of Governors of the Swarthmore Players' Club. He was a member of the AlA and of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania (HSP)
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.