Products of an association with John Dull, Francis G. Caldwell and Edward P. Simon establish an office at 1229 Walnut Street in 1900. Their partnership is short-lived, however; and by October, 1904 Caldwell has announced that he will be withdrawing from the firm. He is shortly replaced by David B. Bassett and the firm name of Simon & Bassett.
Caldwell & Simon mix the usual residential commissions with Simon's specialty, commercial and industrial building. They also designed clubhouses (a building type which Simon would continue in his new firm): the United Republican Club at 3158 Frankford Avenue of 1904 and the Elks Club at 1320-1322 Arch Street, also of 1904, which they gained as a result of a competition in which they bested Watson & Huckel; Stearns & Castor; and Clarence Schermerhorn.
Sandra L. Tatman.
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.