This building firm was formed by carpenter John S. Cornell and his son, John W. Cornell, around 1890, when the name of the firm first appears in the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide. Philadelphia city directories indicate that John S. and John W. had been working together since 1887. John W. Cornell's sons, John W., Jr. and Allen Dyer, subsequently joined the office. The firm, later J. S. Cornell & Son, Inc., grew to be one of the most prominent building companies in the city and came to be particularly known for suburban estate residential work in the early twentieth century. The company continued through several generations of the family.
Emily T. Cooperman.
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.