Successors to Furness & Hewitt, Furness & Evans reflects the partnership of Frank Furness and Allen Evans, a longtime member of the Furness office. This is an extremely prolific time for the partners since it is during these years that a major portion of the railway stations associated with the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company were undertaken.
Furness's characteristic personal style is still evident during these years, but his loyalty to the Neo-Grec learned at the studio of Richard Morris Hunt has softened. For such demolished treasures as the George B. Preston house, 2135 Walnut Street, historic photographs reveal an irregular roof line, terracotta detail and massive red-tiled bays overhanging the main doorway. A contrast in the areas of exterior decoration and massing is provided by the Allen Evans house and row at 237-41 South 21st Street of 1883 where the relatively plain exterior is accented by a corner turret which hangs out over the street.
In 1886 the name of this firm expanded to Furness, Evans & Co. to acknowledge the efforts of several younger men who were longtime employees of the firm: William Camac, E. James Dallett, and Louis C. Baker, and James Fassitt.
Sandra L. Tatman.
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.