John W. Platt was born in Philadelphia to John and Hannah Platt and attended the Philadelphia Trades School before earning his Certificate of Proficiency in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1916. He also attended Drexel Institute for two years. He served as a draftsman for Alexander Mackie Adams (1914-1916) and for Savery & Scheetz (1919-1921) and then spent several years with Bissell & Sinkler (1921-1924) before becoming head draftsman for Heacock & Hokanson from 1925 to 1937. He also entered into a short-lived partnership with Roland R. Fields, using the name Platt & Fields for the few projects undertaken. A second, equally short-lived partnership with Charles Talley in 1922/23 produced at least one residence under the name Platt & Talley. However, his association with Heacock & Hokanson was both longer-lived and more successful since Platt and J. Linden Heacock eventually established their own office under the name Heacock & Platt around 1939. This firm continued with J. Linden Heacock, Jr. after the senior Heacock died in 1961.
Platt joined the AIA in 1948 and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter. He gained emeritus status in the AIA in 1968.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- University of Pennsylvania
- Drexel Institute
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.