M. Hawley McLanahan began his career as a real estate developer with the firm of Whiteside & McLanahan, with whom he became associated in 1885. After William Whiteside died in 1890, McLanahan carried on the business; and it was not until January, 1903, that what would be his illustrious and long partnership with William L. Price under the name Price & McLanahan was announced. This partnership continued until Price's death in 1916. Following Price's death, McLanahan & Bencker (with Ralph B. Bencker) continued from 1920 until 1925, when McLanahan returned to independent practice until his death in 1929 while staying at the Traymore Hotel in Atlantic City, NJ.
McLanahan became a member of the AIA in 1922 and was a member of the Philadelphia Chapter as well. In 1923 his firm, McLanahan & Bencker, won the Philadelphia Chapter, AIA, medal for most meritorious work.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.