Born in Easton, PA, to Daniel Leh and Mary Wolfinger Leh, A. W. Leh began his career in the Union Army and then, after returning to Easton, as a cabinetmaker and woodcarver. At the end of the 1860s he moved to South Bethlehem, and by 1870 was listed as a carpenter in Allentown. He continued as a carpenter or carver until 1873 and then began to study architecture in earnest with Daniel Dougherty. By 1878 he had established Ritter, Beck & Leh and seems to have used this firm as the launchpad for his architectural career.
As early as 1889 references to the work of Albert W. Leh, an architect maintaining an office in South Bethlehem, PA, began to appear in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide. Although he remains little known in Philadelphia, he prospers in South Bethlehem, where he designed residences, schools, and commercial structures.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Links to Other Resources
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.