[Office of Simon & Simon Photo Album]
Office of Simon & Simon, Portion of the Draughting Room
General Collection - Albums, Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Local ID #: 001-AL-002-041
View more images [16 total]
Established by the Simon brothers in 1918 after Grant M. Simon returned from Paris, this office specialized in public and commercial buildings, but also produced the synagogue for the Rodeph Shalom congregation on North Broad Street in Philadelphia. Although Grant M. Simon withdrew from the office around 1927/28, his brother Edward Paul Simon continued to use the name into the 1930s. He then practiced on his own until he established Simon & Boulware in the 1940s. When researchers attempt to separate the talents of the Simon brothers, it seems easy to associate Grant Simon with the classically-informed projects like the Manufacturers Club and to leave to Edward P. Simon the business and engineering activities of the office, especially since there is anecdotal evidence indicating that W. R. Morton Keast was loaned to Simon & Simon for the Fidelity Bank design of the late 1920s. However, Edward P. Simon often sought the public view of the firm's architecture by publishing articles and interviews regarding their work; and after the younger Simon left the partnership, several Simon & Simon projects appear to consider a modernity unseen while Grant Simon held the designer reins. Either these were the product of E. P. Simon's own talents, or they were produced by one of the many young designers who passed through the office in the 1920s.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Links to Other Resources
American Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.